Image Map

Tuesday 20 October 2015

Tuesday's Change Week 43 - Take your time


So after the success of last week's change about Stop Saying Sorry (you can read it here) I've decided to pick another challenge that I myself find really difficult. I did manage to not say Sorry too much over the last week and was feeling quite proud of myself. However, just this morning someone moved away from me to cough and I said sorry! Ha! Was I apologising for being near her when she needed to cough? Who knows it just came out of my mouth. But what was good was I was aware of it and aware I shouldn't have said it so that's at least progress!





So another thing I  struggle with is eating food slowly. I'm someone who adores my food, it's my favourite part of the day and it's what I think about between meals. Maybe for this reason I tend to wolf down my food when it comes and rarely leave much time in between mouthfuls. I'm not sure is it because I'm afraid the food will run away or that someone will take it from me I'm not sure. All I know is I eat way too quickly.

I already have a slow metabolism and having partially chewed food sitting in your belly does not help this at all. The more you chew the less work your stomach and organs have to do to process the food and so it moves through your system quicker leading to a whole load of benefits including reduced bloating, discomfort and a slimmer waistline.



So this week I want you all to take your time when eating and this counts for all meals, snacks and drinks. Even take 5 seconds before you eat to think about what you are eating, appreciate you have readily available food and decide to focus for the next few minutes on what it tastes like, the textures and chew slowly and methodically. 

There are so many benefits to doing this. Check out some of these reasons right here from Zen Habits
  1. Lose weight. A growing number of studies confirm that just by eating slower, you’ll consume fewer calories — in fact, enough to lose 20 pounds a year without doing anything different or eating anything different. The reason is that it takes about 20 minutes for our brains to register that we’re full. If we eat fast, we can continue eating past the point where we’re full. If we eat slowly, we have time to realize we’re full, and stop on time. Now, I would still recommend that you eat healthier foods, but if you’re looking to lose weight, eating slowly should be a part of your new lifestyle.
  2. Enjoy your food. This reason is just as powerful, in my opinion. It’s hard to enjoy your food if it goes by too quickly. In fact, I think it’s fine to eat sinful foods, if you eat a small amount slowly. Think about it: you want to eat sinful foods (desserts, fried foods, pizza, etc.) because they taste good. But if you eat them fast, what’s the point? If you eat them slowly, you can get the same amount of great taste, but with less going into your stomach. That’s math that works for me. And that argument aside, I think you are just happier by tasting great food and enjoying it fully, by eating slowly. Make your meals a gastronomic pleasure, not a thing you do rushed, between stressful events.
  3. Better digestion. If you eat slower, you’ll chew your food better, which leads to better digestion. Digestion actually starts in the mouth, so the more work you do up there, the less you’ll have to do in your stomach. This can help lead to fewer digestive problems.
  4. Less stress. Eating slowly, and paying attention to our eating, can be a great form of mindfulness exercise. Be in the moment, rather than rushing through a meal thinking about what you need to do next. When you eat, you should eat. This kind of mindfulness, I believe, will lead to a less stressful life, and long-term happiness. Give it a try.
  5. Rebel against fast food and fast life. Our hectic, fast-paced, stressful, chaotic lives — the Fast Life — leads to eating Fast Food, and eating it quickly. This is a lifestyle that is dehumanizing us, making us unhealthy, stressed out, and unhappy. We rush through our day, doing one mindless task after another, without taking the time to live life, to enjoy life, to relate to each other, to be human. That’s not a good thing in my book. Instead, rebel against that entire lifestyle and philosophy … with the small act of eating slower. Don’t eat Fast Food. Eat at a good restaurant, or better yet, cook your own food and enjoy it fully. Taste life itself.


So that's it for this week guys. Focus on what you are eating, how long you take to eat it, are you distracted when eating it? Are you appreciating what you are eating? Are you actually enjoying eating it?

I have no doubt when doing this you will eat better food, enjoy it more and be more healthy.

Have a wonderful week!


No comments:

Post a Comment